Thursday 8 March 2018

Jay Walker's Theotokos: Icshor


When I look at this art installation this is what I see:

The grey horizontal lines subtly indicating toward a central point symbolise modernism. I think this because they are devoid of colour, cold, the centralising effect indicates a hierarchical structure. Left to right as science is.

The coloured vertical lines weaving and intersecting with the horizontal symbolise postmodernism. I think that because they introduce colour, the missing element from modernism, the variation of narratives indicated by a wider spectrum of colour and size. If modernism was horizontal, the reaction to it would be vertical as this adds a second dimension.

The pink diagonal lines crystallising in the middle to me represents metamodernism. I think this because it is in some way a synthesis of the vertical and horizontal; metamodernism being an oscillation between modern and postmodern ways of interpreting the world but creating something new in the process.

The cloaked figure in the middle which we are unsure if it is fading or emerging to me could represent either pre-modernism (fading) or post-postmodernism (forming). The way it is summoned centrally through the process of metamodernism could be an indication of how we as people shape our realities by navigating through these two modes of cultural reproduction.

Using tape as the medium is also interesting, to me indicating how we are stuck with the socio-cultural paradigm we operate in.

No comments:

Post a Comment